Here is a delicious and nutritious salad that has the perfect combo of protein, fats and carbs. It is important to fuel your body with the three macro-ingredients for optimal health. And the quality of those macro-ingredients does matter. This salad contains healthy sources that will help with energy levels, weight loss, and optimal performance.
Here you will find your protein in the chicken, your complex carbs in the quinoa, and your healthy monounsaturated fats in the olive oil dressing and avocado. Quinoa is one of my favorite grains since it is packed full of fiber and vitamin B, is high in omega-3 fatty acids, and actually contains all the nine essential amino acids.
Enjoy this salad after a workout to refuel, replenish, and recharge.
Quick and Healthy Quinoa Chicken Salad
- 1 tsp coconut oil (for cooking)
- 1/2 pound (230g) chicken tenders
- 1-2 tsp chicken seasoning/all-purpose seasoning
- 1/2 red onion
- 2 cups bell peppers (green, yellow, and/or red)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup corn (canned)
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 green onion
- 1/4 cups chopped cilantro
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Coat a pan lightly with the coconut oil.
- Sprinkle the chicken lightly on both sides with the chicken/all-purpose seasoning and a dash of salt.
- Add the chicken tenders to the pan and cook on medium heat. Cook for 8 minutes and turn over and cook for another 5 minutes until cooked through.
- Meanwhile in a second pan, add a dash of coconut oil and add the red onion. Sauté on low to medium heat for 4-5 minutes until softened.
- Add the bell peppers with some salt and pepper and sauté for another 3 minutes or so.
- In a separate bowl add put together all the remaining salad ingredients. Add the cooked onion and bell peppers.
- Toss lightly with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper. Serve with the chicken tenders.
This recipe is compliant on Kickstart and Lifestyle levels.
Want to learn more about healthy eating? Join us for the next Whole Life Challenge. Participating in the Challenge will improve your mind, your body, and your daily habits, leaving you happier, healthier, and in control of your lifestyle. If you’re ready for a change, this is your opportunity. Click below to learn more: