Dr. Jeremy Brook, aka “The Spinechecker,” is a Los Angeles-based chiropractor, yogi, and movement specialist. He is the founder of The Life Center Chiropractic, a unique healing oasis that incorporates the disciplines of chiropractic, spinal corrective protocols, yoga, and other movement art forms to make sure the spine, body, and mind are aligned.
In addition to his private practice, Dr. Brook has been teaching an anthropological, evolutionary and energetic approach to anatomy and also teaches chiropractic adjusting seminars to Doctors of Chiropractic and students of chiropractic. When he’s not “spinechecking” and adjusting, he can be found on his yoga mat, lifting weights at Deuce Gym, and slacklining between palm trees on Venice Beach.
Dr. Brook (or Jeremy as I call him during the podcast) is my chiropractor. I went to him about 8 months ago thinking that chiropractic was the last thing I needed. I couldn’t have been more wrong. Through a regular practice of adjustments and full body exercises to address the hips, spine, shoulders, and neck, I’ve seen my spinal and full-body mobility take a dramatic turn for the better.
Jeremy has an amazing way about him. Part doctor, part healer, part yogi, and part athlete, he’s able to bring a real-life, practical approach to his healing practice that is incredibly unique. He’s built a program and culture in his office that is strong, encouraging, and self-propagating. And in terms of chiropractic, he will challenge whatever preconceived notion you have of its purpose. He also lays down a solid foundation for its place in the world of health and well-being for all functional aspects of your body.
Hope you love this conversation as much as I did!
FORWARD TO A FRIEND – If you enjoy the podcast, please help us spread the word by sharing it.
LEAVE A REVIEW – Your written reviews in iTunes go a long way in helping us get the word out. Here’s a link to make it easy – bit.ly/andypetranekpodcast. Thanks in advance for your help and support!
This episode is brought to you by The Good Kitchen.
One of the best things I’ve ever done is to get prepared, Whole Life Challenge-compliant meals delivered to me during the week. It makes my life so much simpler, eliminates any questions I might have about healthy food for those meals, and reduces the number of decisions I need to make each day.
I highly suggest trying it out. It was a game-changer for me. The Good Kitchen will deliver pre-made, chef prepared, WLC-compliant meals (breakfast, lunch, and/or dinner) right to your front door via FedEx.
A special offer for podcast listeners: get 15% off your first order. Just use this link: thegoodkitchen.com/wlc
Episode Notes – #141: Dr. Jeremy Brook
- Shin Box Switch mobility drill for hips
- The Life Center Chiropractic — Jeremy’s truly unique chiropractic center in West Los Angeles.
- A brief history of Chiropractic
- How Jeremy knew by the time he was 8 that he wanted to be a chiropractor.
- How a rugby injury almost resulted in his becoming a physical therapist.
- How and why he got back on track with chiropractic.
- His original discovery of yoga (a practice that he’s maintained for 25 years).
- Bryan Kest’s Power Yoga
- What is the philosophy of chiropractic and why you should care.
- How life’s universal intelligence, life force, and bone space are connected to chiropractic.
- Chuck Miller Ashtanga yoga
- A baseball analogy for the current state of healthcare in the United States.
- The importance of your neural-spinal system. Its integrity is critical for optimal movement, health and well being.
- The importance of “touch” when it comes to chiropractic or any manual therapy. Chiropractors use touch to “listen” to the body, feeling for “tone,” tension, hypertonicity, etc.
- On learning to become responsible for your own healing, growth, and practice.
- Finding the balance between giving people what they want, and giving them what they need for their own good.
- The anxiety of getting adjusted. Learning how to accept the adjustment is part of the process.
- Dr. Arno Burnier — Making Love to the Spine
- The HUGE variety of conditions and injuries can chiropractic can help with.
- How did the ancients understand all that they did about the body thousands of years ago?
- Jeremy’s most memorable and meaningful chiropractic successes — helping several clients who had been unable to conceive for years, miraculously become pregnant.
- Chiropractic techniques — Thompson drop table technique and activator technique
- Understanding the difference: Good chiropractors don’t treat symptoms, they address “cause.”
- The chiropractic start point is bones and joints, but the impact can be felt in all the systems — nervous, muscular, circulatory, lymphatic, digestive, reproductive, and endocrine, etc.
- Binge-worthy TV shows: Fauda, Cobra Kai
- Kundalini Yoga — getting the prana and energy systems moving in your body
- Jeremy’s daily routine non-negotiables
- Early dinner
- Eat meals within a 12-hour window
- Home lighting — Philips Hue
- Wearing blue blocking glasses in the evening
- Blackout curtains in the bedroom and eye-mask for sleep
- Sleep — binaural beats, sleep mask
- Philips Hue lights wake-up at 5:45 am
- Green powder with water first thing in the morning with vinegar and lemon
- Fat coffee (butter and MCT oil) with Four Sigmatic mushrooms
- Yoga — 15 to 90 minutes, head to toe mobility, sun salutations, yoga poses or flow
- Meditation — 15 min on the Sri Yantra or the Flower of Life
- Workouts — Deuce Gym, Venice, CA
- Slacklining — fun hobby to challenge nervous system, concentration, and balance
- Yoga class — here or there
- Zero Gravity Recliner by Perfect Chair
- Inversion table
Connect with Jeremy
- Get Adjusted By Dr. Brook: www.spinechecker.com
- Buy His Book: www.thespinecheckersmanifesto.com
- Anatomy of the Spine Seminars: www.drjeremybrookanatomy.com
- MLS Adjusting Seminar: www.mlsseminars.com
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/thelifecenterchiropractic
- Instagram: www.instagram.com/spinechecker
- YouTube: www.youtube.com/spinechecker1
Have a question? Have feedback? Want to connect?
If you enjoyed this podcast, here are some others to check out: