Anela Lineham is the co-founder, along with her husband Gary Lineham, of Human Garage. Anela is an Intuitive Women’s Health Expert. She is a motion/breathwork master, and an expert in women’s health focusing on the biochemical, physical, emotional, and spiritual aspects of a woman’s well-being.
Anela is also the co-owner Human Garage and has studied under Masters of NAAM, Kundalini, and Vinyasa Yoga for over thirty years. Anela leads dedicated workshops on the importance of the mind/body balance and how your biochemistry, along with your mindset, plays an integral role in your mood and energy levels.
As Anela’s story unfolded, I was struck by her incredible ability to rise above. In spite of being smacked down by life time and again, she has always found a way to keep moving forward, learning, growing, and using the experiences, no matter how bad or destructive, as opportunities for growth. This is something we all can use more of, and for some reason, hearing it from someone who’s had it much worse than many others, feels comforting and inspiring, like if she can do it—then I can, too.
I know you’re going to love this conversation—enjoy!
P.S. If you enjoy the podcast, please help us spread the word by sharing it with your friends, subscribing and leaving a review. Your written reviews in iTunes go a long way in helping us get the word out. Here’s a link to do just that – bit.ly/wlc-podcast. Thanks in advance for your help and support!
This episode is brought to you by The Good Kitchen.
One of the best things I’ve ever done is to get prepared, Whole Life Challenge-compliant meals delivered to me during the week. It makes my life so much simpler, eliminates any questions I might have about healthy food for those meals, and reduces the number of decisions I need to make each day.
I highly suggest trying it out. It was a game-changer for me. The Good Kitchen will deliver pre-made, chef prepared, WLC-compliant meals (breakfast, lunch, and/or dinner) right to your front door via FedEx.
A special offer for podcast listeners: get 15% off your first order. Just use this link: thegoodkitchen.com/wlc
Episode Notes – #135: Anela Lineham
- Co-Founder of Human Garage
- How Anela knew as a 6-year-old that she wanted to change the world through movement.
- Anela’s childhood growing up as a gymnast in Bosnia.
- How her training helped her develop the mental, emotional and physical capacity to help others.
- Living through the war in 1992 in Sarajevo, a religious civil war where neighbors were fighting against neighbors.
- Escaping from Bosnia – the borders were closed – how she left her family and got herself out via a 3-day bus trip.
- Life as a refugee in London, with a continued intuition guiding her, protecting her, and moving her toward helping others.
- The chance 2nd meeting of her first husband on the streets of London that led to her marriage, child, and move to New York City.
- Leaving her abusive first husband, running for her life with an 18-month-old and nowhere to go.
- Working in hospitality while continuing her education and training in spirituality, yoga, healing, and the human body.
- Pouring herself into her studies of the human body and life in general – library, books, and teachers in things like Kabbalah, and Kundalini.
- Recovery from knee surgery – guidance from the Universe in the form of books and healers that just showed up in her life.
- Learning to heal using her hands, energy and spirit.
- Hotel Wales – her place of employment for 14 years in New York.
- Using spirituality to help move her forward and not “go dark” or look at the dark parts of her life..
- How Anela found the strength to rise in the face of repeated life disasters and trauma, to not collapse into despair, instead choosing to access her courage, act bravely, and continue to move forward.
- The importance of cultivating your intuition.
- The difference between moving forward just to survive and moving forward powerfully to lead and inspire.
- Her first experience meeting Garry Lineham, her second husband, who healed the pain in her knee.
- Naam Yoga, Los Angeles – where she taught yoga in Santa Monica.
- Testing her resolve – opening her home to strangers for physical treatment (the start of the Human Garage) and the anxiety that came with it. How she had to shift her perspective to make it through the panic attacks, looking at the fear as an opportunity to shed her skin and grow.
- How Anela created physical alignment in her body as the foundation for her health and well being, turning next to internal balance (biochemical) followed by spiritual alignment.
- “If your therapy isn’t working, instead of blaming the therapy, ask yourself what is it I don’t want to see?” ~ Anela Lineham
- “When the student is ready, the teacher appears.” ~ Lao Tzu
- The importance of having support from others – a “team”, small group or just a partner to be with you through your process of growth and evolution.
- Patrick McKeown – Podcast #123: Learning to breath for life and vitality
- How mouth breathing activates your sympathetic nervous system and why nasal breathing, which activates the parasympathetic, is so important.
- Healing your body using a holistic approach, treating it as one complete whole instead of a collection of parts.
- Self love – it’s not selfish. Learning to say “no” is part of self love.
- Anela’s daily routine (including taping her mouth shut at night to encourage nasal breathing).
- How the people you spend time with affect so much of who and what you are. (ref: Billions – show on Showtime)
- Parasympathetic “workouts” that activate yin energy.
- The discipline and scheduling that is required for real self-care.
- The challenge of eating “clean” organic food when out at restaurants.
- Anela’s favorite restaurants in Venice, CA – Salt Air (seafood), Osteria Venice (italian), Mon Petit Poulet (French, chicken)
- Winding down at the end of the day: sitting in front of her infrared light called a Joovv Light, taking a bath, breathwork, then reading.
Connect with Anela Lineham
Anela will be hosting a Breathwork class on Thursday, April 19th at the Human Garage at 6:30 PM. YOU’RE INVITED – click here for more info.
- Instagram: @anela_Hg @humangaragela
- Website: www.humangarage.net
- Appointment Request: www.shop.humangarage.net/waitlist-reg
- Facebook: facebook.com/humangaragela
- Youtube: Human Garage
Have a question? Have feedback? Want to connect?
If you enjoyed this podcast, here are some others to check out:
The Whole Life Challenge is designed to help you develop the skills of making good choices and creating lasting habits. By participating in the Whole Life Challenge, you’ll experience personal growth, improved physical (and mental) health, and a new understanding of what it means to care for yourself. Click below to learn more: