Stressing about how to navigate the Memorial Day holiday? Worried about losing points?
Relax. It’s a holiday. If you have the day off, enjoy the extra time you have. If you are headed to a social engagement, enjoy your time with family and friends. These moments should be enjoyed, not fretted away by worry and guilt.
So how do you make that happen? You’ve been doing so well up to this point. How do you let those worries float away without just blowing off the Challenge?
Simple. You’re a grown up. Plan ahead.
Tips for a Happy WLC Memorial Day
- Complete your exercise and mobility early in the day. You are unlikely to do them after a social engagement.
- Continue to hydrate throughout the day. If you’re going to a party, set a goal to consume at least two party cups worth of water.
- Try to get in bed on time. Set a departure time if you are headed to a party. Or spend one of your night owl points that you’ve earned.
- Leave your phone in your car or turn it off the entire time you are at your get-together.
While nutrition may be the most challenging part, you do have options:
- If you’ve accumulated Indulgence points, now is the time to spend a few on items you enjoy.
- Fresh produce is abundant this time of year. There should be many options available that will fill up your plate.
- Don’t feel guilty about turning stuff down. If appropriate, talk about the Challenge. Otherwise say, “Maybe later, after I get more of these strawberries…”
- Make or bring your own Challenge compliant recipes. I’ve included a sample menu below.
Memorial Day Menu
- Set out some fresh fruit and veggies for people to munch on — strawberries, blueberries, watermelon, apples, broccoli, cauliflower. You can also make some kale chips for some extra crunch.
- You need a great recipe for a cookout staple. Check out Jon Gilson’s 50/50 Bacon and Beef Burger.
- And what’s the perfect companion to the burger? Michael Stanwyck’s Oven-Baked Sweet Potato Fries.
- For dessert, prepare ahead and then serve some gorgeous Quick and Easy Matcha Cocoa Bars.
And there you go! There are all the tactics and recipes you need to have fun on Memorial Day without having to spend the day worrying about or feeling guilty about your choices. Remember, part of what we’re learning is how to make choices. Some days are meant for following the rules and some are meant for breaking them — it’s up to you to decide.