I don’t eat meat anymore. Which means, I no longer eat my mom’s amazing chicken noodle soup or beef stew. But, I was raised in a home where soup was a staple food — a Scottish comfort food my mom would make to warm the bones during cold Cleveland winters.
But, as I got older and chose to remove meat from my diet, I longed for a soup that would provide the same kind of coziness without sacrificing nourishment — I love you brocolli cheddar, but your dairy-ness brings me down.
As the only vegetarian in my family, it was on me to find a homemade substitute.
I got creative. I whipped up this vegetable lentil soup with basic soup-making ingredients — onions, carrots, celery, potatoes, and lentils. And it turned out pretty darn good. I’ve since perfected the recipe.
Give it a try. It’s very easy to make, and it will delight both the meat-eaters and vegetarians in your life.
Veggie Lentil Soup
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups onion, chopped
- 7 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups carrots, chopped
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 1 large potato, chopped (2 3/4 cups)
- 1 large sweet potato, chopped (2 3/4 cups)
- 6 oz. can tomato paste
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup raw red lentils (or any color lentils you prefer)
- Heat butter and extra virgin olive oil in saucepan on medium heat.
- Add garlic, onion, carrots, celery, potato, and sweet potato to saucepan. Saute vegetables on medium heat until cooked through.
- Add tomato paste to vegetables mixture. Blend. Let mixture cook for two to five minutes on medium heat, stirring every minute to avoid burning.
- Add vegetable stock and lentils. Stir.
- Bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, allowing mixture to simmer for 30 minutes. Stirring every 5 minutes. This will allow the soup time to thicken.
This recipe is compliant on Kickstart and Lifestyle for both Vegetarian and Non-Vegetarian players.
Want to learn more about healthy eating? Join us for the next Whole Life Challenge. The challenge will improve your mind, your body, and your daily habits, leaving you happier, healthier, and in control of your lifestyle. If you’re ready for a change, this is your opportunity. Click below to learn more: