WLC Mission is a weekly challenge, meant to improve your life by disrupting your day-to-day routine — taking you out of your comfort zone, asking you to try something new, and challenging you to become a more complete person. Never easy, you can consider the Mission an advanced experiment in personal wellness, with you as the star.
This Week’s Mission: Fitness Field Day
This week, you’re going to enhance your love of physical culture by taking your fitness where it’s never been before — to a new class, outdoor pursuit, or team sport.
Changing your life requires actually changing your life, a willingness to break old routines and try things you wouldn’t normally consider.
This week, we’re bringing that principle to exercise, asking you to take a leap that will develop your courage while encouraging you to find new forms of fitness (that you may love dearly). As a side benefit, you may find that your new pursuit works your body in ways you’ve never experienced, a surefire way to add real and substantial fitness.
Take a new class, try an online program, join a local free fitness group, or take to the great outdoors for a new pastime. You need only do it once this week to consider the Mission a success — but the more the better. Consider this your license to explore the possibilities.
To truly get into the spirit of this Mission, select something you don’t feel super-confident about. If you’re the strong, weightlifting type, take a yoga class or head to spin. If you prefer those long, cardiovascular workouts, try an interval-training class. If you’re a runner, lift some weights, and if you always take your walk along the same roads, find a new hiking trail to conquer.
Here are some other possibilities:
- Rent a paddleboard, dune bike, road bike, or kayak and get out there with a friend.
- Head to your local basketball court and get involved in a game of pickup basketball.
- If your location allows it, take a surf lesson.
- Try Pilates, yoga, CrossFit, Orange Theory, acro-yoga, or adult gymnastics.
- Go for a hike, and make it further than you’d normally go on your “standard’ walk or run.
- Join a local run crew, and make some new friends. Try November Project or find a group on Meetup.
- Ask a friend who is into rock climbing to teach you the basics.
- Google search for “ultimate frisbee” and your city or town, and see if there’s a group you can join.
- Ask your friends what they’re into, and then tag along to their next session.
This WLC Mission isn’t scored. To complete it, just find time for a new fitness pursuit this week. Consider it a personal exploration, a way to enhance your journey toward overall well-being (while potentially doing something very cool). In other words, give the Mission a shot — but leave the scoreboard at home.
The Whole Life Challenge asks you to examine your life through a different lens – your physical health, your emotional health, and your overall lifestyle. Participating in the Challenge will improve your daily habits, leaving you happier, healthier, and more in control of your outcomes. If you’re ready for a change, this is your opportunity. Click below to learn more: