WLC Mission is a weekly challenge, meant to improve your life by disrupting your day-to-day routine — taking you out of your comfort zone, asking you to try something new, and challenging you to become a more complete person. Never easy, you can consider the Mission an advanced experiment in personal wellness, with you as the star.
This Week’s Mission: Fitness Field Day
This week, you’re going to enhance your love of physical culture by taking your fitness where it’s never been before — to a new class, outdoor pursuit, or team sport.
Changing your life requires actually changing your life, a willingness to break old routines and try things you wouldn’t normally consider.
This week, we’re bringing that principle to exercise, asking you to take a leap that will develop your courage while encouraging you to find new forms of fitness (that you may love dearly). As a side benefit, you may find that your new pursuit works your body in ways you’ve never experienced, a surefire way to add real and substantial fitness.
Take a new class, try an online program, join a local free fitness group, or take to the great outdoors for a new pastime. You need only do it once this week to consider the Mission a success — but the more the better. Consider this your license to explore the possibilities.
To truly get into the spirit of this Mission, select something you don’t feel super-confident about. If you’re the strong, weightlifting type, take a yoga class or head to spin. If you prefer those long, cardiovascular workouts, try an interval-training class. If you’re a runner, lift some weights, and if you always take your walk along the same roads, find a new hiking trail to conquer.
Here are some other possibilities:
- Rent a paddleboard, dune bike, road bike, or kayak and get out there with a friend.
- Head to your local basketball court and get involved in a game of pickup basketball.
- If your location allows it, take a surf lesson.
- Try Pilates, yoga, CrossFit, Orange Theory, acro-yoga, or adult gymnastics.
- Go for a hike, and make it further than you’d normally go on your “standard’ walk or run.
- Join a local run crew, and make some new friends. Try November Project or find a group on Meetup.
- Ask a friend who is into rock climbing to teach you the basics.
- Google search for “ultimate frisbee” and your city or town, and see if there’s a group you can join.
- Ask your friends what they’re into, and then tag along to their next session.
This WLC Mission isn’t scored. To complete it, just find time for a new fitness pursuit this week. Consider it a personal exploration, a way to enhance your journey toward overall well-being (while potentially doing something very cool). In other words, give the Mission a shot — but leave the scoreboard at home.
The Whole Life Challenge asks you to examine your life through a different lens – your physical health, your emotional health, and your overall lifestyle. This eight-week challenge will improve your daily habits, leaving you happier, healthier, and more in control of your outcomes. If you’re ready for a change, this is your opportunity. Click below to learn more: