Register now to make 2021 your healthiest year yet!
The Whole Life Challenge begins with you taking a personal inventory. The inventory consists of three parts: body measurements, a measurable workout, and before-and-after pictures. Your final ranking among your teammates will be partially determined by your improvement in your measurements and workout.
For something to be a “measurable workout,” it must not only evaluate your performance with a single score or time, but must also be something you can repeat at the end of the Challenge.
For a scored workout, the number of sit-ups you can complete in two minutes or number of bodyweight bench presses you can complete in one set are some examples. For a timed workout, you could complete a five-mile trail run for time or a run around your block as fast as you can. Use your experience as your guide.
You must be able to repeat the same exact workout at the beginning and the end of the Challenge.
You may choose any workout that is relevant to your experience or your particular training. Here is an example of one we have used in the past.
WLC Sample Workout
In 11 minutes:
- Run 1/4 mile, 1/2 mile, or 3/4 mile (choose a distance you can finish in 6 minutes or less)
In the time remaining, complete as much of the following list as you can:
- 30 Squats
- 30 Sit-ups
- 30 Plank-ups
- 40 Lunges
- 40 Bicycles
- 40 Push-ups
- 50 Squat Jumps
- 50 Flutter Kicks
- 50 Mountain Climbers
- 100 Burpees
Your score is the total number of reps you complete.
- Don’t worry, this workout was not designed to actually be finished in under 11 minutes — just get as far as you can in the list and count all your reps as points.
- Your choice in run distance must remain the same for both your prelim and the final inventory
- I’m sure I can finish a half-mile run in under 6 minutes, so I choose this option.
- Start the stopwatch and head out for the run. The faster I run, the more time will be left after I finish to score more points (reps), so I run fast.
- I finish the run in 4:42, but I don’t stop — I immediately start squatting. I get through the squats, sit-ups, plank-ups, and lunges, and I get to 20 bicycles before 11 minutes is up.
- My score is the total number of reps: 30+30+30+40+20 = 150
- I write this score down and enter it into the WLC website.