You’re about to have an awesome day: turkey, pie, family and friends.
Before you get down to the real business of Thanksgiving, grab a quick workout: You can do this one anywhere, and you’ll rev up your metabolism before dinner.
It’s a “Fartlek” (don’t laugh), which is Swedish for “speed play.” The idea is to mix near-maximal sprints and kicks with your normal endurance running pace. This technique will build your speed, and it’s entertaining to boot.
How to Do Your Thanksgiving Running Workout
- Pick a distance. If you’ve never done this before, a mile or so will be plenty.
- Find some arbitrary markers.To help beginners, we chose a 20 telephone pole course: 10 sprints, 10 jogs.
- Jog between the first two poles.
- Sprint at 80-90% of maximum speed between the second two.
- Alternate jogging and sprinting for the rest of the course.
Be sure to warm-up adequately beforehand. Pay special attention to stretching hamstrings, quads, and calfs before you set off. Be sure to start a bit slower, and pick up speed as you get more comfortable.
Have a great workout, and Happy Thanksgiving from the Whole Life Challenge!