Most people start the day off by eating bowl of cereal with milk and a coffee. But there are a few problems with this breakfast:
- Most cereals are processed, stripped of nutrition, and packed full of sugar.
- Dairy is on my no-no list due to its inflammation-promoting properties (with the exception of some organic Greek yogurt or kefir for the probiotics).
- The coffee will boost your acidity levels along with the sugary cereal and milk, and you’d be better off drinking water.
So basically, with this meal you’ll feel a kick of energy and then a crash once the empty carbs and coffee has all been processed. Then, you’ll most likely find yourself snacking on more empty carbs by mid-morning and that will further perpetuate the cycle.
Breakfast is by far the most important meal of the day. It sets the benchmark for the rate at which your metabolism burns calories and also sets in motion your eating habits for the day. Will you have good, consistent energy levels or will you experience energy crashes where you find yourself craving more carbs, sugars, and coffee to keep you going? Breakfast answers those questions for you.
One of the reasons many of us don’t eat a good breakfast is due to time constraints. So, here is one of my favorite recipes for a wholesome breakfast that is super quick to make. The banana-berry smoothie is as easy as blending it all up and the eggs can be hard-boiled earlier in the week on your meal-prep day.
The reason I like this breakfast so much is that it contains all the macros you need for a perfect start to the day and it is made of whole foods:
- The eggs contain protein with a high bioavailability, as well as fats in the yolk that contain all your fat-soluble vitamins.
- The banana-berry smoothie has carbs for energy along with vitamins and minerals.
- The chia seeds are high in fiber and omega-3 fatty acids.
Enjoyed together, these foods provide a meal that will fill you up and keep your blood sugar and energy levels consistent.
Banana-Berry Smoothie and Hard-Boiled Eggs
- 1 cup of almond milk (click here to learn how to make your own)
- 1/2 banana
- 1 cup of strawberries (or you can try a different type of berry)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 eggs
Banana-Berry Smoothie Directions:
- Add banana, strawberries, and chia seeds to the almond milk.
- Blend thoroughly.
- Put a pin prick into the base of each egg and add to a pot of boiling water.
- Cook for 10 minutes.
- Rinse with cold water, set aside to cool, peel and serve.
This recipe is compliant on Kickstart, Lifestyle, and Performance levels.
Want to learn more about healthy eating? Join us for the next Whole Life Challenge. You will improve your mind, your body, and your daily habits, leaving you happier, healthier, and in control of your lifestyle. If you’re ready for a change, this is your opportunity. Click below to learn more: