I could eat Mexican food every day. The combination of savory meat and spices along with fresh hot tortillas always pleases my taste buds. And there’s no reason you can’t still satisfy yourself with those flavors in a healthier way.
I’m also a fan of the slow cooker (or Crock-pot). Slow cooker meals are great for a busy schedule. I’ve been known to cook this chicken recipe overnight so I can just put some aside for dinner the following evening. The cauliflower tortilla recipe is made faster by purchasing already riced cauliflower at your grocery store. The best part about indulging in these tortillas is that they are gluten- and dairy-free.
So if you get a hunger for Mexican food, you no longer have to go without or spend a lot of time preparing it!
Mexi Slow Cooker Chicken with Cauliflower Tortillas
- 1lb chicken thighs or breasts
- 2 limes juiced
- 1/2 cup salsa of your choice
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- Cut excess fat from chicken.
- Place all the ingredients in a slow cooker.
- Pour in 1 cup of water.
- Cook on low for 4-5 hours. Chicken should be tender enough to pull apart and shred.
Cauliflower Tortilla Shell Ingredients:
- 2 cups riced cauliflower (I save time by buying mine already riced from the frozen vegetable section.)
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Cauliflower Tortilla Shell Directions:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Add the cauliflower to a bowl and microwave for 3 minutes. Stir and microwave for 1 minute more.
- Pour cauliflower onto a dish towel or thick paper towel and pat dry thoroughly. Dump dried cauliflower back in the bowl.
- Add in eggs, salt, and pepper and mix well.
- Prep a baking sheet by laying a piece of parchment paper flat on the sheet.
- Pour the cauliflower mixture into 5-6 small circles depending on what size you want the tortilla.
- Bake for 10 minutes and carefully flip the tortillas over and continue baking for 4-5 minutes.
- Final step: Heat a frying pan with 1 tablespoon of coconut oil.
- Add the tortillas to the pan and press down to brown slightly.
- Add the chicken and desired condiments. Enjoy!
- 1 medium avocado
- 1 handful fresh cilantro
- 1 small white onion
- Hot sauce
This recipe is compliant on all levels — Kickstart, Lifestyle, and Performance.
Want to learn more about healthy eating? Join us for the next Whole Life Challenge. This eight-week challenge will improve your mind, your body, and your daily habits, leaving you happier, healthier, and in control of your lifestyle. If you’re ready for a change, this is your opportunity. Click below to learn more: