My youngest daughter is a twelve-year-old dancer who spends on average around ten to twelve hours a week at her studio. Needless to say, I am often in the kitchen preparing snacks that will help keep her fueled between classes. One of her favorite snacks right now (okay, I confess, it’s one of our favorites), is this gluten-free “healthier” version of Rice Krispies treats.
Regular store-bought treats (the Kellogg’s boxed treats you’re all familiar with) contain artificial ingredients that you and your kids simply don’t need in your diet, and Kellogg’s Rice Krispies typically contain significantly lower quantities of fiber, iron, calcium, and protein than healthier rice cereals.This homemade version of these classic treats is better for you and guaranteed to hit the spot when you and your kids need an extra energy boost on hard workout days.
Note: These bars are delicious, but they do contain more calories than the store-bought Kellogg’s Rice Krispies bars, so be sure to pace yourself and eat only one bar at a time! These are great for the occasional treat during off-Challenge times, for post-workout snacks for active people, or for an easy healthier holiday dessert to share.
Gluten-Free “Rice Krispies” Cacao Energy Bars
- 1/2 cup soy butter or nut butter of your choice
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup coconut nectar
- 1/3 cup organic cacao powder with maca (use regular cocoa powder if that’s what you have)
- 1/3 cup chopped hazelnuts
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (melted)
- 3 tbsps ground flax seed
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Dash of red pepper flakes (optional, for those of you who like a little hot spice)
- 4 cups rice crisp cereal (be sure to check the ingredients or look for a compliant puffed rice cereal as an alternative)
- Heat soy or nut butter, coconut nectar, cacao powder, coconut oil, cinnamon, and salt either in the microwave or in a pan on the stovetop.
- In a large bowl, add the rice crisps or puffs, hazelnuts, flax seed, and red pepper flakes if using them.
- Stir in the melted liquid ingredients and mix well.
- Pour into a coconut-oiled baking pan and press down evenly.
- Refrigerate until hard enough to slice into bars.
- Keep refrigerated in a sealed container.
This recipe is only compliant on Kickstart and should only be eaten as an occasional treat. During off-Challenge periods it makes for a good post-workout snack.
Want to learn more about healthy eating? Join us for the next Whole Life Challenge. Participating in the Challenge will improve your mind, your body, and your daily habits, leaving you happier, healthier, and in control of your lifestyle. If you’re ready for a change, this is your opportunity. Click below to learn more: