Register now to make 2021 your healthiest year yet!
Why Do This Chest Opener Stretch?
The purpose of this exercise is to cause a gentle and gradual lengthening of the muscles of the chest and shoulders. At the same time, we will be evening out the muscles all along the spine and hips. All of this results in a tremendous “open” feeling.
You might think you are doing the exercise incorrectly because you don’t feel a strong stretch. Don’t worry, you are not supposed to feel a big stretch in this position. This stretch causes postural changes to the muscles of the hips, spine, and shoulders through a gradual muscular response.
So instead of visiting the “pain cave,” you will be creating lasting postural changes that leave you feeling more open and upright.
How to Do the World’s Best Chest Opener
In order to do this exercise, you will need either two six-inch yoga blocks, or two stacks of books, each six inches in height.
- Lie on your stomach with your forehead on the floor.
- Your feet should be pigeon-toed and your buttocks relaxed.
- Place your arms on your blocks. Your arms will be going straight out from the shoulders to your elbows, and the elbows bent at 90 degrees and hands “up.” Relax your wrists and hands.
- Breathe and relax your upper body and hips.
- Hold this position for 6 minutes.
Repeat this as a part of your regular stretching routine, or daily in the morning before starting your day.