I have a strong affinity for mushrooms —the culinary ones, not the other ones. I especially love cooking with shiitakes, and this recipe is one of my favorite ways to use them. Shiitakes are not only full of vitamins and minerals, but also possess some amazing anti-inflammatory and disease-preventing properties.
This recipe can stand on its own, but can also serve as a hearty side dish or even as a co-star in an entree featuring a protein like fish, chicken, or your favorite vegan alternative — if you eat those things, of course. If you’re looking for more interesting dishes and ways to expand your healthy food explorations, this shiitake mushroom recipe is a simple and rewarding option.
Shiitake Mushroom and Leek Saute
- 2-3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 small or 1 large leek, sliced
- 1/4 small red onion, small dice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 lb shiitake mushrooms, cleaned and thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Heat up the olive oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add the leeks and red onions to the pan, and saute until translucent (about 5-10 minutes).
- Add garlic and stir until aromatic (about 30 seconds).
- Add the mushrooms and saute for another 5-10 minutes, or until the mushrooms are tender.
- Toss with salt and pepper, and then add your Dijon mustard. Toss to combine. Remove from the heat.
- Serve as is, or in any creative way imaginable! Enjoy!
To see how simple it is to create this unique and elegant dish, watch this video:
This recipe is compliant on Kickstart, Lifestyle, and Performance levels.
Want to learn more about healthy eating? Join us for the next Whole Life Challenge. Participating in the Challenge will improve your mind, your body, and your daily habits, leaving you happier, healthier, and in control of your lifestyle. If you’re ready for a change, this is your opportunity. Click below to learn more: