Do you deal with chronic low back pain when sitting at your desk at work?
Sitting for long periods is like hitting the off switch for the muscles of your hips, and causes a break in communication from your hips to your feet. Your hips and feet no longer function as the base of support to the lower back, causing your lower back to do a lot of the work when you go about your day-to-day activities.
This exercise — called “airbench” — will wake up and reconnect the muscles from your hips to your feet. It will not only help relieve your chronic low back pain, but it will also make your legs strong!
How to Relieve Chronic Low Back Pain
- Stand with your back against a wall with your feet and knees hip width apart and feet pointed straight.
- Walk three foot-lengths away from the wall (as shown in the video), then bring your body back to meet the wall with your hips just above your knees.
- You will be “seated” in an invisible chair, with your knees bent to 105 degrees.
- Your hips should be slightly higher than your knees, and your ankles should be slightly ahead of your knees.
- Your lower back should be completely flat against the wall.
- You can let your arms hang down by your sides or rest your hands gently on your lap with palms up.
- Actively push through your ankle joints to push your low back against the wall with as much pressure as you can.
- Hold for 2 minutes.
- Keep your weight in your heels. Don’t press forward into your toes.
- Don’t do this exercise in socks. Wear athletic shoes or use a yoga mat for traction.
When to do this exercise:
- Any time you feel back pain, do airbench for immediate relief.
- Airbench can also be done one to two times daily for maintenance.
This exercise also makes for a great warm-up before a workout! But no matter when you do it, it’s going to make your low back feel a whole lot better. Give it a try and feel the difference.
Looking to get a practical education on health, fitness, and exercise? The Whole Life Challenge can help you with that. Participating in the Challenge will improve your mind, your body, and your daily habits, leaving you happier, healthier, and in control of your lifestyle. If you’re ready for a change, this is your opportunity. Click below to learn more: